Needing assistance with those high heating costs during the winter months? LIHEAP has two programs that may assist you!
Utility Services include:
Subsidy: November – mid December
- No crisis needed
Crisis: January – March (until funds are depleted)
- 4 days within running out
- Disconnect Notice
- Completely out of heat
“With my husband getting laid off we were finding it hard to pay our bills. Thanks to Gateway’s assistance, we were able to get some help on our electric. We will be forever grateful.”
An enrollment period for LIHEAP Summer Cooling Subsidy and Crisis will run from July 12 through October 31, 2021. The program is designed to help offset the cost of higher electric bills due to rising temperatures. Applications will be accepted during the enrollment period, or until designated funds are depleted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Income eligibility for the program is up to and including 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Benefits are paid directly to the electric vendor. Individuals should acquire and submit an application through their local Community Action Agency office.
The Subsidy component provides households one-time benefit ranging from $100 to $400 depending on income levels and housing category.
The Crisis component is available to eligible households who demonstrate a home energy crisis situation. Crisis benefits will cover the minimum needed to alleviate the crisis not to exceed $600. Households can reapply each time they experience a crisis situation until maximum benefit is reached.
- Households must bring a disconnect/past due notice (example: arrearage payment plan, past due notice, termination notice, or final notice). If rent includes cooling, a copy of lease and eviction notice.
All applicants will be required to supply the following documentation at the time of application:
- Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Residence card (Green Card) for each member of the household.
- Proof of all household’s (all members) income from the preceding month.
- Most current electric bill, statement from your landlord if electric is included in your rent, statement from utility company if you participate in a Pre-Pay Electric Program.
- The account number and name on the account for main heating fuel sources and electric bill.
Let Us Help
To see if you are eligible for services or to schedule and appointment call 1-800-927-1833 press option # 9.To schedule your appointment through our on-line calendar click here.